Los Angeles has been bustling with emerging plus size designers over the past few years and it’s fun to watch! One of the newest brands to grab our attention is Sante Grace, created by designer and talented representative, Tracy Christian!
Made with purpose “High fashion suitable for people with disabilities” Sante Grace is for those who appreciate washable silk, cashmere wool and silk chiffons. Sante Grace draws inspiration from various designers we know and creates plus-size fashion options for us both in form and function.
Finding options beyond fast fashion used to pose a challenge. However, as the industry is growing and plus size fashion still outpaces straight size! This just creates an ecosystem and community that can support contemporary plus size fashion choices, and Sante Grace is the one to know!
We have Share a little about the designer over the past year, but to dig a little deeper, we asked Tracy to share with us 6 things we should know about Sante Grace and why we need these items in our wardrobe right now. now!
6 things to know about the LA-based Luxe Plus line, Sante Grace
first.Sante Grace is poor French for Saint Grace. Designer Tracy Christian named the line after her grandmother (Grace), who taught her to sew. “When my grandmother was a young woman, she found herself in a bad marriage with five children. She financed her escape from her marriage by sewing for the “fat” women in her church. She moved from Chattanooga to New Jersey and started a new life through design.”
2. Before Tracy started Sante Grace, she used to design her own clothes and sew them. “I never understood why someone would do all the designing, assembling and making a garment just to make it out of cheap textiles. I want the best I can afford. I am quality over quantity. Sometimes the best I can’t afford!”
“But if fine linen and silk are suitable for emperors and pharaohs, they are fine for me too.“
“Silk is a wonderful natural fabric. It insulates as well as breathes. It moves well and something looks even better after being wrinkled a little and being washed. When what you are wearing becomes a big deal; choose silk. ”
3. Tracy created Sante Grace to stop crying in the fitting room. You know how some girls grow up hanging out at the mall or shopping as a pastime? As for Tracy, she shares her own experience…
“I would cry in the fitting room because the clothes didn’t fit, or my mom and I would fight. I hate looking at my body in the mirror in the fitting room at Lane Bryant. Nothing matches the way it’s supposed to, and it feels like it’s my fault. ”
Tracy reflects on how she sees herself and her challenges: “I am tall, have a big belly, wide hips, a big butt, a small waist, and large breasts. I have Sante Grace now and our cuts are generous to accentuate a more typical American character. Clothing is life size, not just plus size. “
4. Did you know that Sante Grace has a Secret VIP list? Yes, and it was one of her clients that made her own! “We make a lot of clothes that were never made larger. So when we make 6 or 8 pieces, I call customers who have spoken out via email or social media about their favorite outfits. ”
5. They are connected to the community by relationships with Bus Plus. “Jen Wilder and Marcy were partners on Plus Bus and when I started production Sante Grace Jen managed the line. The ladies have been amazing and now a piece of Sante Grace is on sale at Bus Plus. ”
6. Tracy is a talented agent in real life! “I have been a talent agent for the past 25 years. Ha and I are really good. I’ve been fortunate to have clients who have won Oscars, Golden Globes… We’ve had celebrities wear Sante Grace to the Grammys but the first time I saw someone at the Oscars in our clothes, I had can cry. ”
Have a plot? Curious? Already a fan?
You can buy the latest collection, now at SanteGrace.com!
For the curious, they are currently selling 4X/28 sizes, with plans to expand the size range even further soon. And YES, there is international shipping for our friends who are outside the US.
Curious about the items in the collection? How do you feel about this new designer and their collection?
Let us know what you think and what items are at the top of your list!
Postscript. If you are in the LA . area on June 11order, meet Tracy at Plus Bus Sante Grace Pop Up! Deets on their Instagram!