Andreessen Horowitz backs Synonym’s development of ‘fermentation farms’ • TechCrunch
To get TechCrunch’s compilation of the biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox daily at 3pm PDT, Sign up here.
Damn it, it’s happening: A TechCrunch team is on board, planes, and other airship spells coming to join us in San Francisco for the Disruption. To say we are excited to use so few syllables altogether. Lauren WILL make us TechCrunch Disrupt user guide along with instructions for all receptions, parties and other fun parties. See you soon! – Christine and Haje
TechCrunch’s Top 3
- What is another word for Synonyms?: Have you ever heard of “fermentation farm”? Well, you have now. Christine including a pre-seed round of Synonym Biotechnologies, with big backer Andreessen Horowitz, in which the company plans to build huge fermentation farms so non-pharmaceutical companies can mass-produce products biological as milk protein.
- A rose with a different name: “Ad”, “Sponsored”, what you want to call it, Google is making it so when you do a mobile search you will definitely know it is some sponsored content. support or an organic search result. Ivan there are many more.
- Amputee for a while: We promised feet, but now Ivan writes that it could be another year for any Meta legged avatars to appear in Horizon Worlds.
Start-ups and VC
Even the largest landfills in Indonesia have reached (or are close to) capacity, and the government has set an ambitious target of Reduce waste by 30% by 2025report Catherine. Waste4Change is one company that wants to help by increasing recycling rates and enabling better waste management. The startup, which currently manages more than 8,000 tons of waste a year, announced today that it has raised $5 million in Series A funding, co-led by AC Ventures and PT Barito Mitra Investama.
And we have five more for you:
DIY: 5 ways disruptive component startups can win over OEMs
Ori Mor writes that hardware startup founders have a particularly difficult time. Only a fraction of tech investors will even attend meetings with them, and building a product pipeline is often an infrequent, even chaotic process.
Instead of relying on sales and marketing to build a customer base for its hardware components startup, Mor’s company started building devices using his company’s technology. .
“There’s no rush to build a hardware startup,” says Mor. “Instead, start by just creating a single prototype that you can use for OEM display.”
Three others from the TC+ team:
TechCrunch + is our membership program aimed at helping founders and startup teams stay at the forefront of the field. You can register here. Use code “DC” to get 15% off your annual subscription!
Big Tech Inc.
Rebecca There’s hot news about Sono Motors’ new Sion solar electric vehicle and some face time with Whoopi Goldberg (pictures to prove it). While the family-friendly car is priced at $25,000, Rebecca points out that the interior is more spacious than it looks from the outside, there’s also no cup holders in the rear that might not be suitable for some families. American family.
And we have five more for you:
- More layoffs: Jagmeet there are many more The layoff of Momentive Global announced 11% of its workforce. If you’re thinking, “Who?” that would be SurveyMonkey’s parent company. Real estate valuation technology company Clear Capital is also reducing staff by 27%report Andrew.
- Ready popcorn: Peacock is franchising “Real Housewives” for a guinea pig like her testing out some new interactive features that will provide viewers with extended clips and interviews, Lauren report.
- Don’t @me: Meanwhile, at Twitter, the company is developing a way to users to control who can refer to themwrite Aisha.
- It applies lotion to its robot’s skin: Brian reported that Touchlab, won Top collaborator session: Robots offer event a few months ago, started testing Robot skin sensor in hospital.
- Time, time, time, see what happened to me: the owner of fashion e-commerce site Shein was fined $1.9 million for failing to properly handle a 2018 data breach that affected millions of users’ information, Rita write.