News

At least 14 dead in rebel attacks in eastern DR Congo | ISIL/ISIS News


The ADF organizes frequent deadly raids on villages in eastern Congo despite the joint operations of the Congolese and Ugandan armies.

A witness and a local human rights group said suspected rebels killed at least 14 civilians and kidnapped more than a dozen others in an attack in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

An army spokesman confirmed Wednesday’s attack, which took place in Ituri province on Tuesday night, and blamed it on Allied Democratic Forces (ADF)a Ugandan militia that has been active in eastern DRC since the 1990s, has pledged allegiance to the group ISIL (ISIS).

According to spokesman Antony Mwalushayi, the army killed five militants and rescued a kidnapped 5-year-old girl. He did not give a number for the dead civilians.

Gilbert Sivamwenda, chair of the local human rights group for the capital Babila Babombi, said 16 people had died in Biakato, including 14 civilians and two ADF fighters.

About 15 farmers were also missing and several others were not found and did not return calls, Sivamwenda said.

“The nature of the attack was terrifying. They looted my shop before taking five of my family members into the bush,” said Augustin Kyala Malembe, a resident of Biakato, who also counted 16 dead and said dozens had been kidnapped.

“The military intervened but the damage was done.”

The ADF organizes frequent deadly raids on villages in eastern Congo despite the joint operations of the Congolese and Ugandan armies to stop it.

The group killed about 40 civilians in five villages in a string of attacks from Thursday to Monday.



Source link

kignews

Kig News: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button