More than 1,300 people already subject to a football ban will be forced to hand over their UK passports to police under new measures implemented today.
Violent and abusive football fans in England and Wales will be prevented from visiting World Cup in Qatarstarting next month.
The Home Office said those who fail to hand over their passports and attempt to get to the tournament could face up to six months in prison and an unlimited fine.
If any of the 1,308 people with the ban want to travel to other countries from November 10 until the end of the tournament, they will have to ask permission to keep their passports and be subject to inspection.
Home Secretary Suella Braverman said: “We are all looking forward to cheering on England and Wales in Qatar and we will not let the behavior of a minority of those who break the law influence what will happen. It’s an interesting tournament.
“Violence, abuse and disorder are not tolerated here, and this criminal behavior will not be tolerated at the World Cup, which is why we have taken this resolute approach.
“As with all events of this nature, we are working closely with the governing bodies on the safety of British nationals attending and delivering a successful and enjoyable event.”
The Home Office said containment measures had been put in place for international tournaments before, with the 2018 World Cup complying with 99% of the requirement for those with a football ban to hand over their passports.