The Japanese charts for the week of July 25 to July 31 are from Famitsu, and it’s been a big week for RPGs and Switch.
The top two spots are occupied by two brand new releases this week. Monolith Soft’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3 ran away at number one, selling a staggering 112,728 physical copies. There are no surprises here, really, as the game is getting extremely good reviews and is one of the most anticipated launches on Switch this year.
Behind it with 28,536 units sold is Digimon Survive on Switch. Visual novels with strategic RPG elements are still selling a significant amount, and we’re happy to see it rank well alongside Nintendo’s major RPG series. Nintendo Switch Sports second only to Digital Monsters after another solid week of sales.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak and Live A Live continues to perform well, with the latter falling four places after topping the charts last week. And to round out new entries, Idea Factory’s latest visual novel – Tengoku Struggle: Strayside – debuts at number nine.
Here’s this week’s full top 10, dominated by Switch releases (with the exception of one Gran Turismo 7):
- [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Nintendo, 7/29/22) – 112,728 (New)
- [NSW] Surviving Digimon (Bandai Namco, 7/28/22) – 28,536 (New)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 24,966 (623,493)
- [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set (Capcom, 6/30/22) – 17,209 (217,472)
- [NSW] Live A Live (Square Enix, 7/22/22) – 14,098 (85.235)
- [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 (SIE, 03/04/22) – 12,453 (139,888)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 4/28/17) – 11,542 (4,745,609)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 3/25/22) – 11,201 (823,909)
- [NSW] Tengoku Struggle: Strayside (Idea Factory, 7/28/22) – 10,912 (New)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 6/21/18) – 9,873 (2,727,866)
There was a big surprise in this week’s hardware sales; PlayStation 5 is the second best-selling console of the week. The big white box surpassed the Switch Lite and the standard Switch model by a substantial margin, selling 36,237 units. It is just behind OLED by six thousand units, with impressive sales of 42,355 units.
- OLED Model Switch – 42,355 (2,097,719)
- PlayStation 5 – 36,237 (1,548,670)
- Conversions – 20,489 (18,547.427)
- Switch Lite – 10,394 (4,827,025)
- Xbox Series X – 7,093 (134,893)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,099 (255,311)
- Xbox Series S – 1,895 (148,132)
- New 2DS LL (2DS included) – 87 (1,187,961)
- PlayStation 4 – 14 (7,819,783)
As always, share your thoughts on the latest Japanese charts in the comments.
Please note that some of the external links on this page are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we may receive a small percentage of the sale. Please read ours Disclosure of FTC for more information.