World

Ukraine hails new air defences, warns power situation ‘tense’


KYIV: Ukraine announced Monday that it has received more air defense systems from Western military allies, as officials in the Kyiv said the situation with supplies was “tense” following Russia’s protracted attacks on energy facilities.
Attacks by Moscow forces, including with Iranian-made drones over the past month, have destroyed about 40% of Ukraine’s power plants, and the government has urged Ukrainians to save electricity. maximum.
Kyiv has been rocked by Russian attacks on the first day of every week for almost a month but the sirens of the airstrikes remained silent on Monday and people went out as usual.
In a gray and foggy Kyiv – conditions that military observers say make low-altitude missile and drone attacks more difficult – people can’t help but worry. to the threat of new attacks on Monday.
“Honestly, it’s not just Monday, it’s been eight months now we know this can happen every day and we’ve adapted. I’m not going to change my routine because of it. I’m at work. … like every other day, “21 year old resident of Kyiv Alyona Plekh told AFP.
Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov announced on Monday that Ukraine has received the National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System (NASAMS) and Italy Aspide anti-aircraft, additional weapons provided by Germany.
“NASAMS and Aspide air defense systems have arrived in Ukraine! These weapons will significantly strengthen the Ukrainian army and will make our skies safer,” Reznikov said on social media.
“We will continue to shoot down enemy targets that are attacking us. Thank you to our partners – Norway, Spain and the US,” Reznikov added.
The weeks-long Russian attacks have caused total blackouts and limited energy use across Ukraine, and the capital’s government has asked residents and businesses to reduce consumption.
“The situation with the power system is tense. We ask all people in the region to support energy workers in their struggle on the energy front. To do this, use electricity sparingly. thrifty,” the city government said in a statement.
Those pleas came just a day after the mayor of Kyiv Vitali Klitschko warned of the possibility of a total blackout in the capital, saying that the city government was preparing for the worst and preparing for “various scenarios”.
Meanwhile, the President of Ukraine said on Monday that, in the past 24 hours, Russia had fired four missiles and carried out more than 24 airstrikes across Ukraine.
Deputy Head of the Presidential Delegation Kyrylo Tymoshenko said one person was killed by Russian shelling in the Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia part of Ukraine and another one was killed in the northeastern region of Sumy.
Those attacks come a day after Russian-installed authorities in the southern region of Ukraine, Khersonsaid attacks by Kyiv forces cut power and electricity to the region’s main city, also known as Kherson.
But authorities said on Monday that electricity had been partially restored in the city, in a direction that Ukrainian forces had been moving slowly for weeks, saying “all vital infrastructure” in the city The street is back up and running.
As Ukraine pushed for a counter-offensive to the south, Moscow’s occupying forces in Kherson vowed to turn the city into a “fortress”.
For weeks, they organized a civilian withdrawal from the Kherson area as Ukrainian troops advanced, which Kyiv called “deportation”.

kignews

Kig News: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button